Saturday, September 20, 2008

Every day is Earth Day!






Yesterday, Maddy got home from school and said to Dan “I want to clean the earth”. After watching her pick up the garbage in the church parking lot on Sunday morning, Dan knew what she was talking about. So he put Elsie in the kiddie backpack and armed with three grocery bags walked with Maddy and Levi to the park. The plan: to clean the earth, starting with the park and all the streets between the park and our house. So off they went and as they arrived at the park, Maddy decided they should have a contest to see who gets the most garbage. Just one catch- nobody is allowed to beat Maddy! She refused to let Levi pass her on the sidewalk.




So as if the story isn’t cute enough already, picture this: her Daddy had the sweetest little grandmother who used to walk around her neighborhood picking up garbage and she was affectionately known by her neighbors as the “garbage lady”. She was even in the newspaper once. He told me this story years ago but I know he was very fond of his grandmother so to see this connection between his daughter and grandmother melts his heart. He is putty in his little girl’s hand! Just how it should be.


As for "cleaning the earth", you rock Maddy! Thanks for being beautiful you! You make me want to be a better person and take better care of this beautiful world Heavenly Father created for us.

3 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

Christy, I loved reading this! Just yesterday I was making a mental list of all the things I love about the earth - trees, flowers, the smell of dirt, etc. And, about a month ago I bought a hat that says "Every day is earth day." Marc calls me a hippie when I wear it. Please tell Maddie how much I love her! (And, know how much I love you, too!)

Jen said...

I can't believe how big Levi is. I didn't recognize him in the close up shot! Such a fun girl that Maddy

Unknown said...

How cute--it's just too bad we all don't appreciate the earth like Maddie!
She really brings joy to those around her! What a sweet girl.